This Thursday, the House of Reps will be voting to repeal the ACA and replace it with TrumpCare.
Because we are an educated group, that doesn’t promote fear-mongering, here are the FACTS from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) regarding National impact:
- 24 million Americans would lose coverage over the next 10 years—14 million in the first year alone.
- 2 million Americans with employer-sponsored coverage would lose it by 2020; 7 million would lose it over 10 years.
- Insurance premiums would skyrocket by 20% by 2019
$880 billion in cuts to Medicaid funding while giving rich Americans and corporations a $592 billion tax cut.
How does this look for Montana? Here are the facts:
- $7,602.00 is the average cost increase per enrollee by 2026.
- 76,500 is the number of people who’ll become uninsured by 2026.
- 75,700 is the number of people who’ll lose coverage by 2026.
- This is the just the tip of the iceberg and doesn’t even address the issues facing rural hospitals.
This is a NON-PARTISAN issue. Given Zinke’s appointment, we do not have a Representative to vote on Thursday. So what can we do? We can turn the heat up on our Senators to make the contacts they need and vocally and forcefully oppose TrumpCare. If they have a shred of compassion and care truly about the people in this State they will do their JOBS and start lobbying for the ACA to not be repealed and replaced with TrumpCare.
Senator Testor has been vocal about this. But Senator Daines…well….he gave an equivocal statement about Trumpcare. While appreciated, it is not enough. Not even close. We need Sen. Daines to actively voice his opposition. We need Senator Daines actively supporting the people he represents. Now.
What are we going to do about it? Here’s our plan:
1. CALL SEN. DAINES: His numbers are in our pinned post. His numbers are on our Amplify App. Use this script to push him away from equivocating:
YOU: My name is _____, from Missoula Rises. It is very important to me that Senator Daines clearly opposes TrumpCare. According to the CBO, TrumpCare will result in 24 million Americans losing their health care over the next 10 years. It will mean higher premiums for many Americans, worse coverage options, and even millions of people with employer coverage will lose their coverage as a result of this bill. TrumpCare also cuts $880 billion in funding for Medicaid, which will result in 14 million Americans from working families losing their coverage. It does all of this in order to give a major tax cut to the wealthiest Americans, insurance companies, drug companies and other corporations like medical device companies. This is unacceptable.
Staffer: The CBO score is wrong. It overestimated the number of people who will lose coverage. Plus it didn’t take into account regulatory changes that Secretary Tom Price will be making that will keep people from losing their coverage. Lastly, Speaker Paul Ryan will be making changes to the bill before the vote that will make it better.
YOU: That is not true. The CBO is a well respected, nonpartisan office that does cost estimates of major bills to make sure that the public understands the full impact of bills like TrumpCare. Republicans and Democrats alike have relied on CBO estimates for decades and so there is no reason to believe its analysis is wrong. The CBO score is clear in that millions of Americans will lose coverage because of TrumpCare. Plus, the changes Speaker Ryan has proposed would only make the coverage losses greater. Again, this is unacceptable.
I want Senator Daines to commit to voting against any bill that does not preserve the coverage, benefits, and affordability gains of the ACA. Will Senator Daines commit, publicly, to voting against TrumpCare?
Staffer: I will certainly pass on your concerns to Sen. Daines
YOU: Please do, and please take down my contact information to let me know when Senator Daines has made up his mind and will publicly and clearly reject TrumpCare. I will be expecting a response.
2. RALLY AT SEN. DAINES’ MISSOULA OFFICE:
Because I know we all love a good rally. Let’s get after this. This THURSDAY, MARCH 23 at NOON. Show up at his office. I will prepare a written statement and we can all sign it and provide to his office when we are there. We will get press releases out. This is too critical to not put the pressure on him to continue to reject TrumpCare. I’ll create an event and let’s get it together and do this – for each other.
3. LETTERS TO THE EDITOR – Keep sending them in. I would encourage you to write letters that continue to put the FACTS out there. To continue to push Sen. Daines to reject TrumpCare. To know that we can count on his vote against it should it make it to the Senate. When you letter gets published – let us know so we can feature you on Missoula Rises.
We are in this together. This impacts us all and it is clearly up to us to push this Resistance. Don’t forget, this isn’t just Missoula, we are taking this steps in conjunction with the National Indivisible movement. Keep calling, writing, showing up. We will continue to make a difference and take back OUR community, OUR state, OUR country. Power to the people who show up in the arena. #RisingStrong #StrongerTogether